Zero Idle

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Zero Idle
From: Wetmgs <Wetmgs@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 21:26:45 EDT
Did a 365 mile trip Friday. On last leg with 35 to go I came to the usual 5
mile back up of traffic.  Stop and go, stop and go.  Soon as I got in line and
put it in neutral the idle speed dropped to zero.

Restarted and had to keep reving up to 1500 to 2000 rpm to keep it running.
After a half mile or so of this I tried the choke to keep it running.  It
flooded and stalled.  I pulled off road, took off air filters.  Pistons moving
free.  Needles looked in right position.  I could see nothing out of place.
Gas dried and I restarted and got back in the flow of stop and go.

Five miles of this is no fun.  It runs poorly below 2000 rpm and wants to
stall.  On the highway it runs fine.  It got me home.  Today, Sunday, got it
started.  It idled until warm and I managed to check timing and dwell.  No
problem there.  Tried turning up idle screws, which didn't seem to help.  I
don't see anything out of place with the carb. linkage.  A few hours later I
tried again.  I got it to idle with the idle screws turned way in and I'm
seeing slight puffs of black smoke.  A quick rev shows a very visable puff of
black smoke.

What in the carbs will cause sudden rich mixture?
Any ideas, anyone.  74B HIF4's

Marc Derenzy,
Bremerton, WA