SU Carb Problem

To: "'mgs'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: SU Carb Problem
From: "HUTCHINS, JOE" <JHUTCHIN@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 13:44:00 -0700 (PDT)

I have a '73 B that I've yet to get on the road.  My current dilemma is that
I can only get it to start and remain running with the choke fully open, and
even with that it has to run at between 1500 and 2000 rpm or it will spit,
sputter and backfire through the carbs.  When the choke is pushed in
eventhough the engine has reached temperature, she sputters  briefly and
shuts off.  I've attempted to adjust the mixture but that has met with
little or no success especially since I can't even get it to idle.  It has
twin HIF's which I have rebuilt.  Based on the thread on the list earlier
this week, I disassembled the carbs again last night, made sure everything
was clean, blew them out with the compressor, replaced the float needle and
seat and checked the adjustment on the float.

The plugs and points seem fine, the distributor is newly rebuilt,  timing
seems  fine and it has new sparkplug wires.  I can find no air leaks so I'm
kind of stumped.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Joe