Re: SU Carb Problem

To: "HUTCHINS, JOE" <JHUTCHIN@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>,
Subject: Re: SU Carb Problem
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 15:37:12
At 01:44 PM 4/24/98 -0700, HUTCHINS, JOE wrote:

>..... '73 B ..... I can only get it to start and remain running with the
choke fully open, and even with that it has to run at between 1500 and 2000
rpm or it will spit, sputter and backfire through the carbs.  ..... It has
twin HIF's which I have rebuilt. .....

Look for a HUGE air leak between the carburetor(s) and the cylinder head.
A friend had an MG that wouldn't idle below 2500 RPM, and then only on full
choke.  We found a couple of mediun spring lock washers between the heat
shield and the intake manifold, holding open a sizeable gap for air
intrusion.  Yours may be not quite that bad, maybe a vacuum plug missing.
Look for a hole about the size of a pencil, or an equivalent gap in a gasket.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude