Eectrical Woes - Help!

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Eectrical Woes - Help!
From: RAY WYGONIK <RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 07:33:34 -0400 (EDT)
Late last night I tried to start my 74 B.  This is the first time in the 7
years I have had it.  Everything has been out and back in the car, including
the wiring harness.

When I turn the key, the only things that to work are the headlights, the
courtesy light in the middle console with the switch and the fuel pump.
Although, shouldn't the fuel pump stop after it fills the carbs?  It slows down
but does not stop.  Absolutly no sound from the solenoid or starter. No turnn
signals or heater motor.  I forgot to check the wipers.

When I turn the key on the tach pegs itself. Is this related to the rest of the
problems or something else? The car did come with another tach, and I am not
sure which was actually in the car when I tore it down.

I thought it best last night to walk away and come back fresh.  I probably
won't get back to it until Saturday.

Any advice out there on a good starting place?  My ignition switch does not
seem to have any definite detents. Once you turn it on it moves back and forth
the whole range with little or no resistance.

Please list - don't fail me now.  My youngest son wants to drive the MG to his
prom on May 22 and we need a week or two to get the car insected and teach him
to drive a stick.

Thanks in advance.