'73 B Starter or Solenoid Problems, Argh!

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: '73 B Starter or Solenoid Problems, Argh!
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 17:09:31 -0500
Listers,
Well, Lucas has struck me a real blow today. :(
I went to start the car today, and the starter's just spinning and spinning,
turns the engine about half a revolution, and then "Whirrrr".
Ok, so I think to myself, "I'll pull the solenoid and see how she looks".
The spring isn't broken but the rubber boot is trashed. What the hell, so I
put it back in, hook up the wires, and Whoa! The ground lead is arcing when
I try hooking it to the battery....things are not looking good. Zero power
now with the battery hooked up. Man, I hate these electrical puzzles!
I THOUGHT I reconnected the wires to the solenoid properly -- positive from
the battery and the two brown wires together on the one post, and then the
little connector. Is the solonoid completely dead now that I messed with it
and that's what's causing the arcing/no power?
Now besides the electricity problem, am I gonna need to pull the whole
starter? I suppose its likely the gear could be stripped...Any suggestions
before I do? Anyone know what model starter my '73 has?
Bentley and Haynes aren't much help here, but I'm going to study them both
again anyway.
TIA
Dan
'73 B