Re: '73 B Starter or Solenoid Problems, Argh!

To: danray@bluegrass.net
Subject: Re: '73 B Starter or Solenoid Problems, Argh!
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Sat, 02 May 1998 18:07:01 EDT
On Sat, 2 May 1998 17:09:31 -0500 "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
writes:
>Listers,
>Well, Lucas has struck me a real blow today. :(
>I went to start the car today, and the starter's just spinning and
>spinning,
>turns the engine about half a revolution, and then "Whirrrr".
>Ok, so I think to myself, "I'll pull the solenoid and see how she
>looks".
>The spring isn't broken but the rubber boot is trashed. What the hell,
>so I
>put it back in, hook up the wires, and Whoa! The ground lead is arcing
>when
>I try hooking it to the battery....things are not looking good. Zero
>power
>now with the battery hooked up. Man, I hate these electrical puzzles!
>I THOUGHT I reconnected the wires to the solenoid properly -- positive
>from
>the battery and the two brown wires together on the one post, and then
>the
>little connector. Is the solonoid completely dead now that I messed
>with it
>and that's what's causing the arcing/no power?
>Now besides the electricity problem, am I gonna need to pull the whole
>starter? I suppose its likely the gear could be stripped...Any
>suggestions
>before I do? Anyone know what model starter my '73 has?
>Bentley and Haynes aren't much help here, but I'm going to study them
>both
>again anyway.
>TIA
>Dan
>'73

Check the "mains" connections at the front of the starter motor, they get
cruddy and greasy and the wire tends to break at the solder joint to the
largest of the connectors
(i dont know what the solder is but it doesnt melt and ergo is much
harder than the wire itself thus over time it breaks)

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster