Re: Rear Gear Tooth Count 4 Ratio?

To: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Gear Tooth Count 4 Ratio?
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 14:41:13 -0600
Jay Quinn wrote:

> Is it possible for me to count the number of teeth
> on the ring as well as the pinion gears and come up
> with the ratio?
>
> If so, then whats the ring gear and pinion gear
> tooth count numbers to determine the ratio for 4.22:1,
> 3.9:1 and 3.7:1?
>
> TIA,

  Yup, you divide the small (pinion) # into the larger (ring) one.  3.70
= 37/10 for a Corvair I had.  The thing to remember is that any combo
can give you the ratio you want. It depends, in part, on how big the
gearset needs to be to handle the power that needs to be transmitted
through it; 3.70 could as easily be 74/20 if it was in a big truck.  It
doesn't have to come out even either.  Look at our MGB.  Standard ratio
is ~ 3.909 = 43/11.  That's why you  get things like 4.22:1.

  Cheers,
--
  Charley Robinson
  Kerrville, TX, USA