Re: im burning more oil then an 85 GM

To: "D. Vogt" <derekv@ccco.net>
Subject: Re: im burning more oil then an 85 GM
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 16:49:25 -0400
D. Vogt wrote:

> the motor in my 1970 MGB was totaly rebuilt before i got it. I drove it
> burning lots of oil then three months later and a valve went i got it
> replaced and the #2 piston re-ringed it runs fine but still burns alot
> of oil what gives here?

  What do you call a lot?

  It's normal for the engine to consume a bit of oil right away
fresh after a rebuild, then level out.

  However, even when new, these cars consumed oil. The owners
manual will have a spec for oil consumption, and it'll be
something like 1qt/250miles which is, by modern standards,
a lot.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/