Re: im burning more oil then an 85 GM

To: tboicey@brit.ca
Subject: Re: im burning more oil then an 85 GM
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 19:20:22 EDT
On Mon, 04 May 1998 16:49:25 -0400 Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
writes:
>D. Vogt wrote:
>> the motor in my 1970 MGB was totaly rebuilt before i got it. I drove
>it burning lots of oil then three months later and a valve went i got
>it replaced and the #2 piston re-ringed it runs fine but still burns
>alot of oil what gives here?
>
>  It's normal for the engine to consume a bit of oil right away
>fresh after a rebuild, then level out.
>
>  However, even when new, these cars consumed oil. The owners
>manual will have a spec for oil consumption, and it'll be
>something like 1qt/250miles which is, by modern standards,
>a lot.
>
>--
>Trevor Boicey,

Actually, as i recall they were not that heavy consumers new - more like
a quart per 1000 miles (the only reason i remember this is that i only
checked the oil on my 74 every time the odometer trip meter went to
zero!)

Just as a matter of interest, why did you change only one valve and one
set of rings? -

What Trevor said is true about rebuilds but should only last a 1000
miles or so then there should be some consistency - and its a "YMMV"
situation - some consume more than others for myriad reasons not all of
which are cause for concern - the concern comes when it varies! - for
example my 72 with "bearing challenge" uses about a quart of straight 50
weight every 200 miles and its increasing - not good.
The GT consistently uses about  a quart every 1000 miles and im fairly
sure the engine has never had a major rebuild
The 69 doesnt really use any at all(leaks quite a bit though!) - i change
the oil every 1500 miles and its never at the minimum - topping up is a
rarity
In other words - if its running fine, decent oil pressure and compression
and the consumption is consistent - forget about it til something
breaks!! haha

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT