Re: Ignition Switch vs. seat belt interlock

To: Rex Minneman <rexm@mindspring.com>,
Subject: Re: Ignition Switch vs. seat belt interlock
From: Jim Carlile <j_carlile@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 17:05:57 -0700 (PDT)

---Rex Minneman <rexm@mindspring.com> wrote:

> I had a similar starting problem with my 74B several weeks ago - turn
> the key to the start position and nothing would happen (first on a hit
> and miss basis and then all the time).  After checking out the
> electrical system, I discovered the culprit was the sequential seat
belt
> control unit....
-----------------------------

Could be, but other 74 listers might want to check out their ignition
switch condition for almost identical symptoms. On the 74's they're
all about going out now...Moss has them back in stock @ about $60 w/o
the lock. Replacement takes about five minutes, compared to 5 hours
(if you're lucky) for the whole steering lock assembly.

Yes, the sequential seat belt system has gremlins, but in my
experience, don't totally disconnect it: in time shorts in the low
tension circuits develop, and it's better to have them ground out
through there rather than through more vital systems-- most LT
circuits go through the interlock. Apparently, its resistance is less
than alternative pathways: The minute my interlock fuse blew I had
terrific hot coil problems.

Jim
'74 B