Re: Bear Spacers again

To: john peloquin <peloquin@galaxy.ucr.edu>
Subject: Re: Bear Spacers again
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 21:36:09 -0500
john peloquin wrote:

> I bought new bearings to replace the ones that went bad on my MGB. I
> understand the situation with the tapered bearings, but when I put the new
> ones on the spindle and cranked it down to the specified torque settings,
> the castellated nut drove the keeper washer up the spindle to the point it
> broke the little tongue in the washer off! Without the spacer to keep the
> bearings apart etc, I can't get the castellated nut torque right. Dang!

Well, you seem to have a good reason to get that spacer. I'm running the spacer
but no shims so don't have any experience without it. I see that dang spacer
being
a $25 part. Ouch in pairs! I am a little curious how the car was doing without
them as the DPO left them out. What kind of wear did you find on the bearings?
Were they dry when they came out? How did you spec the replacement bearings?
Cross
reference the existing ones or just order by a reputable joint? I find it odd
that
you could get enough compression to snap the little teat of the washer retainer.
Is there play in the new bearings? Are you test fitting the bearings dry? You
pretty much have to when messing with the shims.

Ain't these old cars fun!

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6