Re: Front Bearing Grease Seal- which way do they go?

To: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Subject: Re: Front Bearing Grease Seal- which way do they go?
From: Susan and John Roper <vscjohn@iamerica.net>
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 20:58:27 -0500
Robert Allen wrote:

> > I could easily press this seal into the bearing with my bare hands fwiw.
> > However, I get the message as to which side should be out! Thanks!
>
> Glad to help.
>
> > In the meantime, I am working with another problem. Seems the DPO had
> >bearings replaced and whomsoever did the work neglected to
> >replace the spacers in the hubs!!!!!! I've been driving on these bearings
> >with no spacer ACCCK!. Well, I'm waiting for my local parts place to come
> >up with these hub bearing spacers so I can drive my car!!!
>
> Are you talking about that big, heavy spacer that fits over the spindle
> between the two bearings? I'm not sure that thing is all that necessary with
> modern tapered bearings. In any case, once you do have the damn spacer, then
> you have to worry a lot about those little shims. If you don't shim it
> properly (too tight) you'll get some steering shimy or (too loose) and you
> might as well leave the spacer out.
>
> I've abandoned the shims and tightened down the hub just like an old Ford. I
> personally don't think they're required with modern bearings. There are any
> number of people who will disagree with me, thouogh. Some of it even to do
> with cars.
>
> Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6
I would be very reluctant to discard the spacer.  The issue is not just
one of bearing preload but of the mechanical system that places the stub
axle in tension when the bearings are properly spaced and the nut
torqued as intended.  I also believe that you will find that the
bearings are very much the bearings that the front hub was designed to
run with, not some miracle of modern technology.  Bad plan.  John