Re: fuel gage sending unit

To: Alberto Manganini <albertom@tin.it>
Subject: Re: fuel gage sending unit
From: Chuck Schaefer <crschaef@mc.net>
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 07:15:03 -0500
I don't proclaim to know a lot about the "B" fuel gauge system. But
after about 5-10 years of the gauge on my "A" showing empty all the
time, last year I took a stab at it.

Checked out all the wiring.... OK
Checked out the gauge with spare sender unit and kluged wiring....OK
So I sought out the sender unit.
Compared the resistance to the spare and was within reason.

Nothing else but remove the gauge. Fortunately, there was less than a
third of a tank at the time so no spillage. I found that after all these
years, the float didn't any more. It had pin holes of rust thru an
otherwise bright tin coated can soldered to the end of the lever.

I carefully drained all the fuel from the float and soldered the
pinholes closed again. Violla! A working fuel gauge system. Please no
comments on why I repaired the float instead of buying a new sending
unit. I believe in repairs over replacements whenever possible. That's
half (or more) of the fun.

The reason that I mention this is to remind us that sometimes the gauge
reads empty because that Lucas "Thinks" that the tank is empty.

My $0.02 worth

Chuck