Re: Rechroming

To: mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Rechroming
From: Douglas McKinnie <mup1dm@surrey.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 May 98 11:30:55 +0100
Andrew Lundgren wrote:
>One thing you might want to do is check your local
>classifieds for a chromer.  I saw one a while a back
>for about $300 with all of the goodies.  Since I don't
>know what rechroming costs, I had no idea if it was a
>good deal or not, but it seems that if you want to redo
>the rack and the bumpers that could cost a few pennies...

I don't really want to resurrect the tree-hugging debates,
but for my own car, which is NOT for show but for driving,
I have decided to go with pitted old chrome, polished and
preserved such as it can be.
Rechroming is a noxious process, very environmentally
unfriendly. If one must rechrome, then a rechroming
shop that must comply with OSHA and EPA requirements will
cost society less (although it may cost YOU more). If
you buy imported new chromed parts made in the third world
you are contributing to the pollution of other places, but
also contributing to their microeconomic development, better
trade balance, etc. If you buy New Old Stock items are you
depriving people in developing countries, whilst saving the
environment?
As with many modern problems, choose the combinations of
evils that bother you least...

Douglas McKinnie
(this message is written with recycled data)