Titles

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Titles
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 09:52:34 -0700
Richard D. Arnold wrote:

>In this instance, it appears that it would be illegal as the reason for
>doing so is not a rebuild, but rather to change the VIN so that the car
>can be titled (real close to fraud, IMHO).  Whoever sold the "rotten
>hulk['s]" body & title would probably be considered an accomplice since
>the intended use for the hulk was known when it was sold.
>
>Perhaps the owner of the other car can apply for a rebuilder's title or
>salvage title or whatever it is called in the state where the car is
>located.  One should question why that is not explored first, as it is
>probably the smartest route.

Depends on what state you're in.  I've got a co-worker who has a dune-buggy
based on a '63 VW.  He bought it from some guy who built it in '89.
Sometimes it is not a problem, but in this case the California DMV
decided this dune-buggy is a '89. So, if he wants to drive it on the
streets, he has to get a '63 VW to pass smog tests for an '89.

In other words, while it may be illegal, sometimes the easiest path
for someone doing "old car stuff" is to swap titles and VINs.  People
do this all the time "restoring" cars and building street rods.  I would
never buy or sell title alone, I would always sell the car, but I have
no problems, either personally or morally in regards to others, re-titling
a car, as long as the reason is honest.

For instance:  I have a Bugeye that I bought, sans title.  A fairly complete,
rusty but restorable Bugeye that had belonged to the PO's father and spent
the last decade sitting in a backyard.

Fortunately this car is in Arkansas, where to get a title for a '60
model anything that's been lost you walk in, raise your hand and
say "I want a title for my 1960 whatever" and they go "ok".

I'm in California.  The car and my family are in Arkansas.  Where do you
think the car will be titled?

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.teamsanctuary.com/