MGA Rear end noise solved- AARGH

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, autox.team.net.mgs@B-LEADS1
Subject: MGA Rear end noise solved- AARGH
From: William Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 22:02:54 -0500
For those of you that have been around here a while you may remember that I
have been chasing a clicking noise in the rear end of the MGA for about a
year.  It showed up shortly after an autocross last year and, after a
variety of diagnostic tricks I decided that it was rear wheel bearings.  I
nursed it all summer and replaced the wheel bearings this Spring.  I hit
the road full of confidence and optimism.  Well, the clicking noise was
still there.  One of the things I did last year to diagnose the problem was
to grease the u-joints.  I filled the joints until grease came out of one
of the cups and it made no difference in the noise.  Well last week I went
under the car with the grease gun and pumped up the u-joints until grease
was freely flowig from all the cups.  After that, I shook the joint and
noticed a little movement wheras before this it appeared tight.  It took
the A out and sure enough, the noise was gone.

So,  the next time you grease those u-joints, you may want to forget
keeping in neat and clean and grease the snot out of it.  I know I learned
something.  Also,  all of the u-joints that I have l lost in the past had a
bit of a squeak to it and were fairly rapid for the travel speed.  This one
was just a clicking noise and was fairly slow.  Oh, well, live and learn.
Look on the bright side,  I have found the noise and I now know how to put
in MGA wheel bearings.

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA no longer clicking its heels