Re: 5 speed vs. OD conversion

To: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Subject: Re: 5 speed vs. OD conversion
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 01:53:40 -0400
Charles & Peggy Robinson wrote:
> The fewer revolutions the engine turns per mile driven should
> result in more miles driven between overhauls.  Seems like
> elementary logic to me.

  I'm not going to pick sides, but the logic is far from "elementary".

  For starters, the engine is generating the same hp to keep the
car at speed. If it's doing it at a higher rpm the bearing load
is less, which will decrease wear.

  I'm not going to try to pick a winner, but there are no
"elementary logic" snippets that fully describe the problem,
there are many factors.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/