Carlisle (long winded)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Carlisle (long winded)
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 16:28:51 EDT
I wasnt at Woodstock though i went to several contemporaneous festivals
in England at the time  and those are the only analogies i can think of
for the past weekend.....can you spelll MUD????
It was a good weekend and it was nice to see so many old faces and a few
new ones too (well with few exceptions all the faces are pretty old
whether youve seen them before or not!! hehe)
It was interesting to see the dichotomy of humanity - seemed much more
pronounced than usual, all the MG folk, along with Triumphs jags, VWs
BMWs et al were sloshing around in the lower forty picking over piles of
rusting bits in a sea of dirt and grime, bib n braces, ZZTop beards,earth
mothers and beer guts were the order of the day and the scene looked
mostly like something out of Mad Max.
 In the sheds were the better heeled, Cobra types, with shining chrome,
smart black bomber jackets and slicked back ponytails - liiked a bit like
a beauty salon with a few cars thrown in - and then up on the hill was
the younger generation, plenty of pimples and backwards hats showing off
Geos with chrome undercarriages (mirrors and all) and stereo systems that
were louder than the bands i played in years ago!

The sales tax situation obviously kept some vendors away but chatting
with some of the ones there it didnt seem like anyone was enforcing the
rules anyway and as far as i  could ascertain it wasnt the highest
priority anyone was looking at! -
prices were definitely up quite a bit and the selection was a little thin
compared to other shows - also, ive seen some of these parts so often im
going to send them christmas cards! - i think the famous $95 O/D which
nobody can identify and the red E type hatch with the dent at the bottom
have travelled more miles to shows than they ever did as parts of cars! -
also, what do folk do with cracked/bent dashboards?? -

I was sorry Dave Houser had to go and blab about our meeting and all the
goodies we scored but at least he didnt mention the cabaret that had been
booked, i had no idea that a melon and a turnip could be so versatile!! -
excellent job Dave! those who didnt sho up will go to their graves
ignorant, but perhaps its better that way. - Oh and dont mention what Don
Ainsworth said about M.......hehe)

I took the GT - its 300 miles each way and it rained EVERY SINGLE MINUTE
THERE AND BACK! -and remember the traffic jam Nory mentioned??.....well i
was in it!
The car ran fine but there was an inch of water in it when i got home and
it will take about a week of work to get it clean again - never mind.

Lots of fun - now on to the next - but hand me some aspirin for the flu
and trench foot ointment!

mike robson
69 roadster (that scored new carpets, trim, etc and wasnt even there)
70 BGT (that did sterling service both ways - in O/d - how can anyone NOT
want O/D!)
72 roadster (that languished in a dry garage....)