Re: Compression Questions

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Compression Questions
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@iname.com>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 07:39:44 +0000
On Mon, 11 May 1998 22:32:51 -0500, Dan Ray wrote:
>That was my thinking...my measurements are more like 75-80 on 3 cylinders
>and 55 on one (#2)! Those are VERY low. 130 is "perfect", but 75 is
>NOT....puzzling that my car is running quite well, and not totally
>disappointing acceleration-wise...which leads me to believe I should get a
>"professional" opinion.
>Dan
>>---Dan Ray <danray@bluegrass.net> wrote:
>>... My B, on the other hand, is running VERY low compression numbers,
>>but the
>>> car runs very well (could be much better, obviously), burns ZERO
>>oil, and
>>> leaks only from the built in "drainage hole" on the bell housing
>>(leaky
>>> main).
>>> 130 or so is perfect is it not?
>>------------------------
>>
>>130 is fine. Who said it was too low? My 74 has run about that for
>>years.

I just checked mine about a week or two ago.  I have a "high" compression
engine that is
suposed to have about 160.  I get between 135-140 on all four.  If you are only
getting 75
then you should make sure you are are using your tool correctly.  Then try the
oil in the
cylinder test...   55 is REALLY low.  I was a bit concerned being 20-25 lower
than stock,
but with 80k and 28 years  I figured it was no big deal...

Andrew Lundgren
Lundgren@iname.com
http://www.itwest.net/~lundgren