Re: A reminder to be a squirrel.....

To: <miker15@juno.com>, <borisri@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: A reminder to be a squirrel.....
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 19:49:55 -0700
Mike.......5,000 miles from a set of pads suggests to me that something else
may be wrong! May I suggest a simple test which will determine whether you
have a problem?

Jack up the front of the car, supporting it (as I'm sure you always do) on
jackstands. Apply the brakes then release the pedal. Try to spin the front
wheels. They should spin with minimal drag. If they are hard to turn, either
the caliper pistons are binding or the hoses are deteriorating internally.
Crack the bleed nipple; if fluid spurts out and then the wheels spin easily,
the hoses are bad. If no fluid spurts out, the calipers need rebuilding.
(Don't forget to retighten the nipple!)

If the wheels do not drag, then the pads were really poor quality or you are
harder on the brakes than you think! If you do find a problem, fixing it
will make your newly-discovered asbestos pads last a good, long time.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center