MGA valve seals- need part no's

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGA valve seals- need part no's
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 14:30:49 -0500
Next week is British car week.  After that I am afraid that the MGA must
spend some time in intensive care.  I  would like to put a set of valve
seals on to stop the James Bond imitation on start up.  If I remember
correctly, Midget valve seals are recommended for the A.  I have also heard
that some Chevy seals fit.  Could anyone provide me with more info and part
numbers so that I can order up a set.  Also, should I put them on all 8
valves or just the intakes?

She  runs great but age is catching up with her in a few places.  The 35
year old gaskets don't seal much anymore. The u-joints don't "u" anymore.
The clutch is about gone.    So the week after next the engine comes out.
I plan on replacing gaskets,  the clutch, u-joints,  and piston rings- I
did the bearings last year.

I am also going to take a look inside the tranny.  Anything in particular
in there that I should pay attention to?  The 2nd gear syncro is a little
weak and it whines a little but it seems pretty stout in general.

By the way,  before I get e-mails about how I should just rebuild it all
and be done with it,  I am approaching this as a maintenance thing, not a
rebuild.  I would like to keep as many original parts as possible because
the car is very original mechanically and I would like to see how long I
can keep it that way.  She's not dead, just a little tired.

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA in needs of a slight make over