Re: Oil Filters

To: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Subject: Re: Oil Filters
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 16:01:58 -0400
Charles & Peggy Robinson wrote:

> Unger, Larry G wrote:
> >
> > Hmmm ... do you have the Moss aftermarket adapter or the factory hanging
> > spin-on filter head?
> >
> > All of the fiter heads (caninister or spin-on), that I've seen, will
> > accept the oil cooler.  Take a look at the oil cooler bits in the Moss
> > catalog ... your filter head should be fitted with or accept the UNION
> > ADAPTOR (435-590) ... this allows you to fit the hose ... if you loosen
> > the bolt that secures the filter head to the block, you should be able
> > to spin the head around so that oriented to accept the hose.
> >
> > Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
>
>  Hi Larry,
>
>    The filter head I have is the aftermarket unit from Moss (460-915).
> They can't get them anymore. I bought the thing years ago.  The union
> you wrote of is straight, I could take that off the old cannister
> adapter.  What's needed is an elbow fitting.  I tried to twist the
> filter head around in order to attach the existing hoses years ago.  As
> I recall, by the time I got things connected, the filter was at an angle
> almost impossible to service and the hose was under a strain.  I tried
> to have a hose with an elbow made up but noone had the correct
> fittings.  I went ahead with an inverted unit w/anti drain back valve.
>
>   Anyone wanta buy this one? (BG)
>
> --
>   Charley Robinson
>   Kerrville, TX, USA
>   NAMGBR  8-3530
>   `69 B Roadster

Okay, I'll throw a couple of pennies in this ring....I have a '69 B
which came with the infamous factory filter arrangement that drained
upon engine shut off.  Purchased one of those spin-on adaptor jobs that
allows fitting of a spin-on from the bottom.  I noted that the stock oil
cooler hose that runs from the filter housing to the oil cooler would no
longer fit.  Seems that the filter housing had that hole rotated about
100 degrees clockwise.  Charley, and others, the problem can be solved
by simply purchasing a longer oil cooler hose!  You'll find it in Moss.
I measured mine, discovered that they sell one with what seemed to be
enough length to make the bend and bought it.  Worked like a charm and
does not look like a "kluge job" at all.  Larry - you can come over,
inspect and verify.

Mind you, this may apply to a certain year group of cars, but on my '69
it worked out fine.

--
*Bill Schooler      *Check the MGCC Wash DC Centre Web Page
*Woodbridge, VA     *http://members.aol.com/mgccwdcc/