Re: distributor points

To: stritle@epix.net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: distributor points
From: JMerz140 <JMerz140@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 17:45:21 EDT
In a message dated 98-05-17 16:19:31 EDT, stritle@epix.net writes:

<< What actually causes the points to pit? How many miles or hours before
 one should see evidence of pitting?

Steve,
I think the cause of the points to pit is caused by the condenser not being of
proper value.  The bottom line is that there is too much current (amps)
flowing through the points when they make contact and that causes a buildup of
the metal on the opposite point.  I believe thats one of the reasons why they
went to transistorized ignitions and espeically the fuel pump points in the T
types.  I transistorized my pump many years ago and it works fine.  Inspecting
the points indicates very little buildup.
I have no idea how many miles or hours are expected from a set of points but I
think the owners manual gives you the clue with their recommended replacement
mileage.
Jim