Re: front end alignment

To: RAY WYGONIK <RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu>
Subject: Re: front end alignment
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 20:09:45 +0000
RAY WYGONIK wrote:

> I rebuilt the front during the 7 year project on my 74 B.  But once I got it
> inspected last week I was in to much of a hurry to drive it to take time to
>get
> the front end aligned.  In less than 100 miles I ruined a front tire.  The
> outside half of the passenger front is completely bald while the inside half
> has good tread.
>
> It is in the shop today.  Is there anything else that could be causing this
> other than the wheels not aligned straight?  The only adjustment I see are the
> tie rod ends to get the front wheels parallel to each other.

I have often seen 'adjust the tracking' offered as a solution to 'pulling to
one
side' and 'one worn tyre', but doesn't changing the tracking alter both sides
by an
equal amount because of the castor effect?  Isn't pulling and uneven wear
(between
wheels) caused by suspension alignment differences from one side to the other
caused by damage or incorrect assembly?

PaulH.