Re: fuel system vapor recovery (?)

To: "Henry D. Reynolds" <hdr@jump.net>
Subject: Re: fuel system vapor recovery (?)
From: Jim Carlile <j_carlile@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 16:34:01 -0700 (PDT)

---"Henry D. Reynolds" <hdr@jump.net> wrote:

> I had the same thing happen to me in my '74 B. the float sunk and fuel
> POURED out of the down hose on the anti run-on valve.
----------------
That was a big, BIG problem for the 74's, and it had to do with a
really bad batch of floats that year. It took about two years for them
to fill up with fuel, and then... The other big problem -- and I am
wondering how many 74'ers remember this-- was that someone at the
factory had a rather limp wrist when it came to torque-ing down the
head, and at about 45,000 miles just about every B needed a new head
gasket! At $130 dollars this was actually a deal, because you could
get a valve job thrown in, too!

This problem was aggravated by the fact that few dealers ever torqued
the heads like they were supposed to pre-delivery, even though we paid
for it in that quaint old expense they called "dealer prep". An old
British mechanic I knew, with contacts in Abingdon, said that the
factory workers there, apprised of the new rubber bumper-mobiles, were
thrown into such a state of morale that mistakes became common. I
actually saw an old Leyland-dealer mechanic practically break into
tears when he saw the 74 1/2's for the first time on the lot.

Ah-- is that another thread coming....?

Jim
74B