Re: fuel system vapor recovery (?)

To: "ROBERT G. HOWARD" <mgbob@juno.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: fuel system vapor recovery (?)
From: Jim Carlile <j_carlile@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 15:30:47 -0700 (PDT)

---"ROBERT G. HOWARD" <mgbob@juno.com> wrote:
... Fuel was flowing from the adsorbtion cannister. Fuel
> pump was not pumping.
>   Pulled off the line from the tank to the cannister--seemed to be
dry.
> Removed the gas filler cap and a load of fuel sprayed onto my pants...
>   Isn't the little grey tank inside the right fender supposed to allow
> for expansion of gasoline on a hot day?
-------------------------------
The carbon cannister is "supposed" to absorb fuel tank vapors so that
they do not release into the atmosphere-- also any other vapors
throughout the fuel delivery system.

It sounds like what happened to you is that your carbs flooded and
spilled through the vapor lines-- a common problem, often caused by a
bad float. It might have a pinhole leak in it and is now full of fuel.
This kind of problem can creep up pretty quickly. It was a common (and
exciting) dilemma for 73-74's. Usually an easy fix.

Jim
74B