Carpet fasteners

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Carpet fasteners
From: AKBLACKLEY <AKBLACKLEY@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 08:39:03 EDT
Someone inquired about carpet fasteners on the piece over the battery cover. I
recently installed the Moss "budget " carpet kit, and it came with the
original type fasteners (226-338). The old male locations were used since the
holes were already there. I used a piece of chalk and coated each stud,
working from one side to the other and carefully lining the carpet so that it
did not overlap the front edge of the kickboard (heel board?) too much and
didnt show a gap at the back, and was evenly located side to side. When you
are satisfied with the location press the carpet down firmly over the studs
which will leave chalk on the under side of the carpet. I did mine one at a
time, working from the left side to the right. Then push the ring with the
three prongs through the carpet , centering on the chalk. On mine the snap
rings almost touch the bound edge. They should not be in the binding material
itself. You may have to do this several times to get a good center. Some
pressure is required to get all three prongs through together. Then slip the
chrome female snap piece over the prongs, through the slots in the snap. Now
it gets a little trickier. Use pliers or similar  and bend the prongs outwards
to hold the snap in place. Do these one at a time, working either from one
side to the other or from the center outwards, to avoid lumps or stretching in
the carpet. I only did the front four so far, as the back of the carpet tucks
in nicely by itself. Cheers, Andy Blackley