sportcars

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: sportcars
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 08:42:22 -0400
Thought the below note applies to the sport car thread. Phil and I were
talking Jags, and read on
>To: Phil Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
>From: Leckstein <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>
>Subject: Re: [xj-s] British Cars Owner Survey- 6 Questions

I had said
>>>5. What don't you like about Jaguars? They have lost producing a real
>>>sports car. Porsche still does
and Phil replied
>>You obvious haven't seen the test in this month's Car magazine. They
>>reckon the supercharged XKR outperforms AND outhandles the new Porsche
>>911.
>>
>>Now that's an acheivement.
>>
>>IMHO, though, I much prefer the look of the 911 to the bloated Jag.
>>

>>Cheers,
>>
>>Philip Raby
>>Editor, MG World

and I replied

I guess I'm weird and a sports car is in the mind of the beholder. With MGs
from 1934 to 80, I find a certain feel and closeness with the car in all
my MGs. My son has an 85 911 and that element is there too. That car with
power windows  and AC and central door locks (remote) is still spartan in
feel when you drive it.

I test drove a Boxster just for the hell of it. It didn't have the feel of
an MG or the older 911. It was however beautiful. (the electronics of the
top down operation malfunctioned on the test drive and the windows (which
should go down when the top is in operation) went down with the car in
gear. All this without Lucas!) I found the Boxster to be more like a
beautiful, faster and better handling Miata than like a real sports car.

Phil, the fact that the Jag could out preform the 911 doesn't make it more
a sports car. Anything will out preform my 34 PA, (even a good bicycle) but
that car is a true sports car ,as is my 80B with all the horsepower robbing
pollution equipment.
   I'm sure some on this list will understand, and others disagree. There
is that just something that defines a sport car, and MG always had it, and
the air cooled 911 always had it. I haven't driven the latest water cooled
911. so my verdict isn't in  on it yet.

Mike