Re: B Suspension symptoms

To: danray@bluegrass.net
Subject: Re: B Suspension symptoms
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 20:45:17 EDT
On Sun, 24 May 1998 19:43:58 -0500 "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
writes:
. Boy, she sure skits to the side when I hit a
>bump in a turn! That's not fun.

Are you sure its the rear? - worn A arm bushings will cause this -
usually accompanied by a clunk from the front end and a LOT of
understeer!

>    Are these sure signs that the leaf springs are tired? I've
>inspected closely and see no cracks, although the rubber parts are
looking sorry
>too.

Having just changed the leafsprings on my 69 i was surprised at the
difference the new ones give - not only in handling which is 100 percent
better but also the car sirs a good 3-4" higher - with the new springs
the top of the tyre is about level with the top of the rear wheel arch -
previously the wheel arch was about half wat down the tyre!
If yours is at this sort of level then youre close!!

>The shocks are holding their own so far as the "bounce test".
>    Where should I start? Springs (GT, right?) or shocks (convert to
>tubes)?

If you decide to change, DEFINITELY go for GT 7 leaf springs -theyre only
about $79 each as i recall and  its a logical upgrade, as for tube
conversion, somebody posted an excellent "how to" using shocks from a
Dodge Colt - cost next to nothing as i recall but i cant quite put my
finger on it - Im sure someone will send it to you

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster