Clunking and Jumping

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Clunking and Jumping
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 23:33:37 -0400
Mike Robson posted a response to a suspension question that spurs my
curiosity for further info.  Sounds like something I might need to look into.

Seems that my car jumps all over the road, especially after hitting a bump
or series of bumps.  I just put that down to it being a Midget which isn't
going to stay put like a 4,000 pound car.  I could live with that if it is
the way things are.  If not, I want to fix it.  Sounds like maybe a
suspension problem.  It feels like the back end whipping about.

Now the clunking.  I've been driving a lot this weekend so now I am
experiencing all sorts of potential problems.  In the past 2 days I have
heard a clunk about 3 times.  It's very noticeable (loud) and seems to be
coming from the passenger's side of the car.  The first two times I was
sure it was the back end, but the last time had me wondering.  Other than
the jumpiness, nothing seems out of sorts.  Oh, I can't remember what I was
doing the first time I heard the clunk, but the second two times I was not
going very fast.  Once decelerating to a stop and the other time
accelerating away from a stop.  I think the first time was at low speed
pulling away from the gas pump and turning.  I've never heard it at speed.

I'm not sure I've given enough info, but if anyone has any ideas I'd be
happy to hear them.  Tomorrow I'm going to get under the car, take the
wheels off, that sort of thing.  Just don't know if I'll know what I'm
looking at.  Tonight after a quickie inspection, I did notice a very thin
piece of metal sticking out of the leaves on the back passenger's side.
Part of the problem?  Not sure.

Any help is appreciated.

Philip
Burgundy 1974 Midget