Head Rest Removal

To: mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Head Rest Removal
From: Douglas McKinnie <mup1dm@surrey.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 May 98 11:57:24 +0100
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 19:21:01 -0400
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Subject: New Choke Cable and Head Rests

>Head rest question:
>
>Using WD40 and a hammer I finally loosened the old split headrests in the
>'74 Midget.  Got the worse looking driver's side out...loosened the other
>enough to pull all the way up until it hits the tabs that hold it in.
>Any tricks to this process or do I go back to the WD40 and hammer?

I was reupholstering my seats when I removed mine, so I could twig the
catch from inside the seat. It did occur to me at the time that removal
could be done by sliding some sort of slim-jim down the hole to sort of
ease that little wedge of spring-steel in, whilst sliding the headrest
out. A sliver of soft-drink can perhaps?

You can see the latch-ey thing on the headrest that is removed --
the object is to provide a little ramp that will ease it closed when it
passes out of the seat, rather than letting it catch on the stop. It
might also be useful to try to slide the slim-jim with the headrest,
so that you don't just end up slicing into the slim-jim.

Douglas McKinnie