Re: Oil pressure

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Oil pressure
From: "Jerry Causey" <jcausey@whidbey.com> (by way of Gregg Baker <gbaker@customcpu.com>)
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 15:55:13 -0800
I would be the last person to doubt Twist but I believe the oil circulates
directly to the bearings before it gets to the filter.  This does not keep
the pressure from lagging on first start because the system wouldn't pressurize
until the upright filter canister had filled.  I, of course, could be wrong and
I have absolutely no doubt Bob Allen will not hesitate in correcting me if
that is
the case. I'm referring to the 68-69 MGBs.
Baker

Tom:
You should be using a filter which has a functional  anti-drain
(back-flow) valve in it, so your oil pump doesn't have to fill the
filter before it begins to oil your bearings when you start up. In
my experience, Fram filters always fail. When you stop the engine the
oil drains out of the filter, back into the crankcase. I've had good
luck with Wix 51068 filters (also sold as NAPA 1068). There was
recently a long thread on the MGB  BBS
(http://www.ipl.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/MG/sub71/cmtlist.html) endorsing
the use of a Mann filter made for Volvo. There may be others, but I
stopped looking when the Wix worked so well for me.

Regards,
Jerry