Re: Gear Stick Vibration/Rattle

To: John Stephens <jrs97@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Gear Stick Vibration/Rattle
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 19:00:41 +0000
John Stephens wrote:

> I have a vibration/rattle from my gear box (1976 MGB) which quits when I
> hold the gear stick. I suspect the plunger (shift lever damping) and
> spring or the locating pin (shift lever). Any other ideas as to what my
> problem may be? How difficult is it to get at these parts? Also when in
> neutral, with retaining parts removed, can I take out the gear stick,
> grease it, and replace without disturbing anything? As you can tell from
> my questions I have never worked on a gear box so all help will be
> greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Cheers, John

There is also a little nylon (?) cup that sits between the lever and the
extension rods.  If this is worn or missing it gives rises to a 'zizzing'
lever that quiets with hand pressure.  The one on my V8 was missing, and to
replace it I had to put the cup on the lever then insert both in the
extension rod, rather than the other way round.  Cup is about 50p.

PaulH.