Gear Stick Vibration/Rattle

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Gear Stick Vibration/Rattle
From: "John Stephens" <jrs97@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 04:47:23 PDT
I have a vibration/rattle from my gear box (1976 MGB) which quits when I
hold the gear stick. I suspect the plunger (shift lever damping) and
spring or the locating pin (shift lever). Any other ideas as to what my
problem may be? How difficult is it to get at these parts? Also when in
neutral, with retaining parts removed, can I take out the gear stick,
grease it, and replace without disturbing anything? As you can tell from
my questions I have never worked on a gear box so all help will be
greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Cheers, John