Re: Hot Running

To: john peloquin <peloquin@galaxy.ucr.edu>
Subject: Re: Hot Running
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 19:22:40 +0000
john peloquin wrote:

> Dear Paul and others with "hot" cars:
>
> I ran over to Palm Springs CA the other day with my '70 MGB-GT during a
> "hot" ~38 C day there. My temp gauge also hovered about 3/4 of the way
> while I was on the freeway. This worried me until I saw Carl's post about
> his car which was not damaged by that heat level.
>
> Does anyone know what temp level on the gauge is considered dangerous?
> BTW, my oil pressure dropped a bit to 55 or so from it's normal 65-70 lbs
> when the temp was up.

That *is* hot for running.  Last year the V8 sat in very slow moving traffic on
the
hottest day of the year here (not 38, but 30+) with the fan on override and the
needle in the red, but still gradually came down to just over N when I got
rolling
again.  It didn't boil, which rather surprised me, but was starting to suffer
fuel
vapourisation - I had to hold the throttle open a little to stop it from
stalling as
well as keep the oil pressure up a little.  Personally, I think if it doesn't
boil
you're OK.

PaulH.