Rear Springs

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rear Springs
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 15:09:08 EDT
<<Bob MGT wrote:

> If you have the roadster, I do not recommend the GT springs! I know many
> people like them, but they put the rear of my MGB into the stratosphere. I
> know it's not weak front springs because I got new front springs at the same
> time. The chrome strip is three inches higher at the rear wheel than at the
> front. In my mind it spoils the looks of the car. Don't go with GT springs
> unless you want to show off your gas tank to the car in back of you!>>

The accepted wisdom on racing suspension set up, is to go less stiff, if
anything, at the rear, and much firmer at the front.
For a street car, replacing with proper spec rear springs shouldn't put the
ride height out of whack - if it does, look at whether the springs have the
correct arc and number of leaves. If they have insufficient camber you can
always adjust height with adjustable rear shackles.
I would agree with the proposition that going stiffer is not advantageous in
terms of handling, although it might show off your chromed gas tank to
advantage. ;-)

Bill S.