Re: Silicone brake fluid

To: mgbob@juno.com
Subject: Re: Silicone brake fluid
From: AKBLACKLEY@aol.com
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 09:04:32 EDT
Bob: Thanks for your reply. I am glad to hear of other owners success with
silicone. On John Twists homepage there is a technical article about silicone
fluid that said that the fluid causes the rubber cups in the master cylinder
to possibly expand and block off a bleed port that then coud lead to pressure
build up and brake lock up. This only ever occurred to me once: about 20 yeras
ago I had a 59 MGA coupe and I incorrectly adjusted the push rod at the MC
which eliminated any freeplay so that when the system got hot the brakes
locked on. Not a pleasant experience on the freeway! Mr. Twists article seems
to say that this can be the case with silicone, and suggests adding some
additional freeplay in the cylinder, which can only be done with the earlier
ones. I am wondering what silicone users experience with the tandem MC used on
NAS cars from '68 to '74 1/2 has been.  Thanks! Andy Blackley
PS the only after effect of the silicone leakage is that my daughter, although
she removed her clogs before going in, tracked silicone all over the kitchen
floor on her feet. I washed the floor immediately, but it is still a bit
slippery! Anyone know a good removal solvent that wont also ruin floor tile?