Thanks

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Thanks
From: "Tim Richardson" <tkrich@sirius.com>
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 22:08:48 -0700
Thanks to all that offered suggestions on the whistling under the hood of my
78B.  I finally took it into a local shop here in Fresno and he found the
problem.  It was the manifold gasket.  I seems that a PO had replaced it
once and put the wrong washer on the manifold, behind the gulp valve.  It
was made out of a material that didn't hold up under the heat so as the
engine warmed up, the washer gave up.  It has now been replaced with the
right sized washer and a new gasket and the whistle is gone.

It took me quite a while before I admitted my inability to find the problem,
but it took my mechanic less than an hour to discover it.  Sometimes it just
pays to get an expert.

Since I've only had this car (or any MG) for three months, I guess I'll
learn more about them as time goes on.

Tim
78B Beautiful and (now) running great!