Metal dash conversion

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Metal dash conversion
From: AKBLACKLEY@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 11:48:38 EDT
When I acquired my 69 B I also had a 67 B basket case (since sold) and
seriously considered the conversion to the metal dash, using parts from the
67. In addition to the problem that Mr. Alexander noted concerning the
different scuttle top shape (the later NA cars, including the Heritage shells,
having a dash top that curves inward more towards the windscreen) there is the
problem of the steering column. One option would be the wholeasle conversion
to the original non-collapsable column, which in turn may also require some
modification to the toeboard where it passes throught to the engine
compartment. Not to mention the effects of the non collapsing column on your
chest in the event of an accident. :>0
    I also considered leaving the collapsable column in place and then
modifying the metal dash itself to fit. In Clausingers book you will note that
the factory MGB V8 used a column and column housing that appears very similar
to the NA spec. column. To accomodate this wider column a new plastic dash
panel was fitted to the basic metal dash using the smaller diameter
instruments found on the post '68 NA cars. Another UK spec part that would be
needed is the radio speaker console, which is different due to the wider
transmission tunnel on post '67 cars.
I made inquires but did not find the part numbers for these, but corrspondence
with suppliers in the UK might yield results.
So, after some reflection, I decided that I would install the new dash cover
that came with my 69. The resulting intimate acquaintance during the
installation of this  gave me an appreciation for the dreaded Pillow that I
was totally lacking previously. I would much prefer a passenger of mine to
have that substantial padding ( about 4 inches of foam all told) before them
in the event of an accident rather than the metal dash. I also considered the
conversion to the later dash with the air vents, but the 68-69 NA cars are
somewhat unique in themselves and in the end I decided to keep the car looking
as "period" as possible. The Moss reproduction dash cover is very nice and I
am glad that I kept it stock. Just one mans opinion on the subject. Cheers,
Andy Blackley