Off Topic Modern Sedans?

To: "MG digest submit" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, <endicott@nashville.com>
Subject: Off Topic Modern Sedans?
From: Phil Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 11:06:57 +0100
On 3/6/98 9:05 am mgs-owner@autox.team.net said

>I am asking this list an off topic question only because all of you,
>as MG owners, are undoubtedly brilliant and knowledgeable people.
>
>I am in the market for a new family/business car and have found myself
>favoring only the imports.  The Germans, of course have the Mercedes,
>Audi and BMW, and the Japanese have the Lexus, Acura, and Infinity.  I
>have been driving a Jeeps (2) for the last 10 years.  My aging body is
>rebelling on long trips and it's time for a change.  I have looked at
>the American iron and find that it just doesn't appeal to me anymore.
>Oh, to have my 1955 Imperal back.  I have narrowed the search to the
>Acura RL, it seems to have the most bang for the buck.  Do any of you
>folks have an Acura and if so what do you think, problems or it would
>be ok if ?  The Lexus GS 300 is nice but a little to unconventional
>for me.  The Mercedes is way out of my league ($$) and the BMW is to
>"yuppie" for my taste.  I haven't driven the Audi (A6) it looks nice
>but I have concerns for resale and service issues of a few years ago.
>I have looked at the American Cars but they just don't compete in my
>view.  Whats wrong with these cars, or me, that makes these cars so
>unappealing?   I do feel a little guilty about favoring the Japanese
>cars, have you folks been through this?  It would be no contest if the
>XK8 was 35,000 cheaper, and the hell with the family car idea.

Well, this is waay off-topic!

I've got a Volvo 850 estate (now called V70). It's well made, handles
superbly, has a very smooth five pot engine and lots of room. Oh, and
there's a good Volvo mailing list! Lots of room in the boot for MG
spares, or even a complete Midget :-)

Cheers,

Philip Raby
Editor, MG World
PO Box 163, Bicester OX6 3YS, UK
Tel: 01869 340061 Fax: 01869 340063 Mobile 0467 767361
www.chp.ltd.uk