RE: simple anti-theft device

To: Carl Franklin <carlf@dustdevil.com>
Subject: RE: simple anti-theft device
From: "Cordell, Ralph PhD" <rzc4@cdc.gov>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 17:16:37 -0400
I've had a number of comments/questions about my anti-theft
device/practice of removing my steering wheel.

1.  Wear is a concern though I've not had any problems yet.  I keep the
shaft greased and remove the wheel only in "high risk areas" such as
malls.  I rarely drive it to those places for fear of paint damage from
inconsiderate a**holes who can't or won't control their doors so this is
not a frequent occurrence.

2.  Sometimes I take it with me, sometimes I check it at the desk,
sometimes I slide it up in the footwell, sometimes I put it in the
trunk.  I attended a church service in downtown Atlanta a few weeks ago
and slid it under the pew.

The culture here in the South, especially in the circles I prefer to
travel in, is quite conducive to and somewhat appreciative of such
behavior.  Gear-heads abound.  A number of folks have had MGs -
including the foreman of the tree crew that removed a huge pine that was
left hanging over my house after a storm last April.  Now there was one
of the goodest of the good ol' boys I've met down here.  The octagon is
a real ice breaker.  They'll spit 'baccer juice on Miata's from the cabs
of their pickups but give a big ol' "Yeah baby" at an LBC.   If they get
do get nasty - I bring out the GN and kick butt.

I digress - because of the wear factor I would not recommend removing
the steering wheel as an SOP but it can provide a sense of comfort at
times.   I should mention I've got one of Moss's $300 walnut & aluminum
wheels so removal serves a dual purpose.

ralph cordell
'59 MGA
'84 Turbo Regal
'87 Grand National