Re: Protecting Flexible Brake Lines

To: "Richard D. Arnold" <richard.arnold@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Protecting Flexible Brake Lines
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 09:30:10 -0700 (PDT)
Rich,
a spring is usually used for this purpose when there is contact with the
tires on steering lock.
About your concers for the outside shape of the hoses, these hoses are a
routine replacement item.  They are not meant to last 20 years, they are
ment to be replaced every couple of years.  Since they are rather
important to your well-being and pretty cheap, I would replace them when
they start looking bad, rather than trying to protect them.

Ulix

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Richard D. Arnold wrote:

> All:
>
> I'll be installing new flexible brake lines on Miss Molly this weekend.
> The outside coverings of the old ones are in horrible shape:  cracked,
> weather checked, dinged up from road debris, etc.  I have thought about
> wiping the hoses down with a rubber protectant then sliding a length of
> heat shrink tubing over them to provide a measure of protection.
>
> Will this cause more problems than it prevents, or should I just keep the
> hoses clean and wiped them occasionally with a protectant?
>
> Rich

                                                           '67 Sprite