Top Speed/Carb Update

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net (MG Listserve)
Subject: Top Speed/Carb Update
From: mgrazian@ltcm.com (Michael Graziano)
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 09:55:16 -0400 (EDT)
First off, thanks to all who responded to my two previous mails.  Some
really great suggestions were offered.  I'm very impressed with (and
happy to acknowledge) the care and depth the responders put into the
.
Here's an update of where I am.

Car:  '78 RB Midget with a single ZS carb and the 1500 engine.

Symptoms:

1. 55 mph at 4500 rpm in 4th gear on highway
2. hesitation at low rpms (getting started)
3. misfires even though the correctly gapped plugs are in good shape
4. slight smell of gas out the exhaust
5. heavy soot deposits on the air cleaner right outside the entrance
   to the carburetor (I turned it and placed a clean piece over the
   entrance and it soot up relatively quickly)
6. Rough idle below 1200 rpms

Diagnostics and Repairs by myself and PO (PO first)

1. carb rebuild (with Moss kit) (PO)
2. new distributor cap and rotor (PO)
3. new wires (PO)
4. new ignition coil (Lucas) (PO)
5. checked the carb for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner (originally Fantastic,
     but that only resulted in a very clean manifold) (me)
6. changed the plugs to Bosch Platinums, (gapped to Haynes specs) (me)
7. checked the centrifugal advance (me)
8. checked the vacuum advance both by rev'ing the engine,  and with a
     syringe on the vacuum advance. (me)
9. removed the old carb damper fluid via syringe and replaced with
     Dextron III Auto Transmission fluid. (me)
10.Checked the diaphragm under the cap of the carburetor (John Twist ZS
     article) (me)
11.New clutch 700 miles ago (PO done at gas station mechanic) :(
     I have the receipt for this one.
12.Checked the timing and adjusted it to 10 BTDC. (me)

Additionally,  I'm waiting for my ZS carb wrench from Moss.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Mike