Re: 70' MGB GT questions ( Longish)

To: "Jon Årikstad" <jon@nextel.no>,
Subject: Re: 70' MGB GT questions ( Longish)
From: "Robert Allen" <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 08:51:56 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Årikstad <jon@nextel.no>

>BLUE SMOKE ( + some 'rattling' from down there)
>So here is my question.
>A rebore +++ work, will cost around 10K
>A reconditioned full engine will cost, with
>Some say that the recon'd engines aren't as good
>tempting, but..
>Any experience out there ??

If you get a decent warranty and the company is reputable, I wouldn't be
afraid of a reconditioned motor. You're trading time for dollars. If you
have the time you can do it yourself, if you spend quite a bit of money your
car will be back on the road faster.

You might do a compression and leakdown test to find where your problems
are. If the head is new and in good shape then a 'short' block would be
sufficient (block, bearings, crank, rods, and rings).

>Brakes:
>I am used to power brakes. Haven't had
>unassisted brakes since
>time. Any ideas out there ??

MG brakes, in good repair, stop fine. Booster isn't going to make a lot of
difference.

>Also:
>Washed my car, lots of water inside the coupe.

Underneath the car, in the trans tunnel to the right of the flywheel
housing, there should be a black, rubber tube hanging down from the heater
box. This is the drain but it can get clogged with dirt and junk. Clean that
out.

>Where on the distributor do I connect the wire
>from the
>tachometer ??

It is usally hooked up to the spare spade coming off the negative side of
the coil.

>What should the W/R/D/C ratio be on an MG ??
>
>W= Wash/polishing
>R= Repair/maint.
>D= Driving
>C= Crying

10/30/60/60 -- YMMV

Bob Allen, Kansas City USA
"It's funny how cheap everything sounds when you don't understand the
currency."