Re: Windshield Surround - GT

To: Michael MacLeod <macleodm@cadvision.com>
Subject: Re: Windshield Surround - GT
From: john peloquin <peloquin@galaxy.ucr.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 11:16:52 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Michael,

I'm sure there will be those who did this dread task in a more efficient
and less damaging fashion than did I, but it is truly the most awful thing
I've had to do with my B-GT. Blood, Sweat, and Tears are in your future
for sure. I did it by using a lot of Protectant 2000 as a lubricant. I
know it is probably bad for the rubber yada yada yada, but with out the
lube, I couldn't have done it.

I used a thin scredriver (with the sharp edges rounded off a bit) and a
(DULL!!!!) round-tipped table knife to lift the rubber over the chrome
windshield surround. Use only chrome that has not been distorted AT ALL.
Put the corner pieces in first. Keep your hand between the path of the
slipped-out screw driver and your paint. Cuts heal faster than you can
replace paint and blood won't hurt your paint job if you wipe it off.
This is a horrible task and I would pay the window replacement guys to do
it for me the next time. The windshield is more difficult to do than the
back window by about an order of magnitude. Allow a LONG afternoon for the
task. I had to stop after I got each long piece in because it was so
arduous.

Watch out for scratches your belt or pants might make on the paint of your
car as you lean over the hood etc.

Good Luck!

"Never Ascribe to Malice that which can be explained by Ignorance."
John J. Peloquin
Entomology, University of California, Riverside, CA 92521