Budget

To: "'MG submission'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Budget
From: "Cordell, Ralph PhD" <rzc4@cdc.gov>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 10:03:16 -0400
The only advice I can give is to be very aggressive in your search in
terms of looking yourself and letting people know you are interested.
If there is a local car group, join and let the folks there know of your
interest and price range.  Keep on this group.  Check out newspapers.
My dad bought my '59 A back in '68 for $400.  He would've been happy to
get $500 for it last year.  It was structurally and mechanically fairly
sound - could use new shocks and leaks more oil than the Exon Valdez but
the major problem was that it was cosmetically challenged.  I've
probably spent $6000 in parts and paint and hundreds of hours.  The
point I'm trying to make is that probably somewhere out there in the
great wide world, there is a poor dejected ol' MGA that would love to be
in your driveway and whose owner would gladly sell it for what you are
willing and able to pay.  The problem is in getting you two together.
Since the owner probably is not nearly as motivated to sell as you are
to buy - you will have to take the initiative.  The second point is that
these cars are in some respects white elephants - their care and feeding
can be fairly expensive.  You can't haul much in them.  They require
frequent attention and are prone to leave you stranded on the busiest
streets in the worst weather at the most inopportune times.  If you are
not mechanically inclined - either learn, become a very good friend of
some one who is or be prepared to spend a lot of $$$.

Having said that - when I drive my A I figure it is unlikely that I will
encounter another car with anything close to the penache and class (a
month or so ago I did run across an antique silver Porsche convertible -
beautiful car that made me feel a bit outgunned).  Last Saturday I took
my A and my truly gorgeous golden retriever male, Booker (it was Booker
D & the MG) out for a ride.  We both loved it and I know that we made
several folks mornings a bit brighter.

Good luck in your search.

-ralph cordell
'59 MGA