Re: Budget

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Budget
From: Kevin Sullivan <kevins@khoral.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 15:28:02 -0600 (MDT)
On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Trevor Boicey wrote:

>   To be honest, I don't think any pre-F MG qualifies as a sports
> car to the people of today's generation.

At first I misread this and thought you meant any post-TF MG.  I would
agree with the exception of the A.  I would call the A a sports car.  I
would call the AH 100/4 a sports car.  The 3000 I would not.  It's a
touring car.  Like someone hear so correctly put it, it's not some list of
features a car has or doesn't have, it's a feeling you get when you drive
it.  Maybe Mk I midget.  I'm not comfortable enough in one to really enjoy
it.

>   Sorry if that's blunt, but it's true. When you borrow your mom's
> corolla and it outperforms your MGA in every way, I think you start
> to see your MGA as a "cute little convertible".

No, I think of it as something that makes me smile.

>   Don't make a big flame out of this, I am just talking about
> people of today who didn't grow up with As.

I didn't grow up with As.  The one I ever saw I bought because I had
to have it.

>   Chrome is pretty much the desires of the older set, not really
> appealing to most of the younger crowd.
>
>   Case in point, go to a dealer, like say, a Chrysler dealer. Look
> at the Chrysler Minivans, then have chrome strips, chrome grilles,
> and so on. Target market, old farts.

Old farts are cool!

>   Then look at the Talon TSi or the Stealth. Serious drool factor

Serious wank factor!  :)

> to those who grew up watching Seinfeld, and the only chrome you'll
> see is the barrel of the cigarette lighter.
>
>   When you drive by the local kids they may say "ooooh!" but
> it doesn't change the value of the car unless they grow up
> wanting one enough to buy one. That just isn't happening that
> often.

I think they want one until advertising tells them otherwise.

Kevin Sullivan             kevins@khoral.com
Khoral Research Inc.       www.khoral.com/staff/kevins/mgstuff
Albuquerque NM USA

1960 MGA           "Baby"