Re: Budget

To: Ben Ruset <bruset@home.com>
Subject: Re: Budget
From: Kevin Sullivan <kevins@khoral.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 08:25:58 -0600 (MDT)
On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Ben Ruset wrote:

> Not the ones who drive Chrysler Minivans!

Hey, my wife has a Chrysler minivan!  But a lot of days she'll take the A
or Magnette instead!

> Naah. People's tastes have changed. Take me for example - I'm 20, going on 21.
> I'm looking for a good 2nd car. Most people my age would be looking at
> something Japanese, sporty, and cheap. I look at Jaguars! British cars have an
> unfair stigma about them - and at least in America most British cars have
> endured a lot of DPOing, or were mangled from the factory (BL Jaguars). When
> people see that most of the "fun" accessories and aftermarket parts for Jap
> cars can be bought localy, this also serves as an incentive to buy something
> Japanese.

Again, _most_ (non-thinking) people want what the advertisers tell them to
want.  And the car companies are not advertising old used cars, even if
they are better in some ways (the ways that people like us think are
important) than the new ones.  Hey, whatever happened to that Jaguar
survey somebody was doing?  I had hoped to offend some people!

> I for one am glad that Brit cars are not mainstream. It gives me something
> different to drive than all the other people my age.

No shit.  In fact, the non-popularity of British cars makes them more
affordable.  I wanted to buy an old Harley but they have become so popular
that the prices are too high.  I got the A for half of what a Shovelhead
in the same condition would have cost.  As an only car, I guess the A _is_
a little more practical, too.

Kevin Sullivan             kevins@khoral.com
Khoral Research Inc.       www.khoral.com/staff/kevins/mgstuff
Albuquerque NM USA