That was my first thought too, along with the possibility the fans were
pulling too much current and the thermo switch, being the weak link,
So when I installed the second switch a couple months back, I also did a
bit of wiring repair-cum-improvement.
Checked all wires and connectors for corrosion, tightness, broken spots
etc and repaired as needed. I also installed a relay in the circuit to
feed the fans, as they do pull and inordinate amount of current when
operating. The relay was installed as a matter of course, as I've always
thought the lack of a relay in that circuit was a serious shortcoming.
The fan operation is not the problem, though. The override switch is
still in the circuit and when toggled on, the fans operate correctly. By
the by, the override switch also utilizes the relay. The thermo switch
and the override switch are really wired in parallel, so either one will
operate the relay and hence the fans.
The basic problem is the thermo switch itself. They seem to self
destruct with alarming regularity. This last one only lasted a bit over
By the same token, another friend's 79B has had the same basic problem
for the last several years. His will last anywere from a couple of months
to a couple of years. While a third club member has never had a problem
with his 77B.
I've only been able to conclude that either the quality control on the
current generation of switches is woefully lacking, or that the basic
design is inherently faulty.
What we are all looking for is a thermostatic switch that can be
installed in the B with a minimum of modifications to the car, is more
readily availible "over the counter" and is more reliable than the
A tall order, I know, but one can hope!
On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 09:26:53 EDT JustBrits@aol.com writes:
> I would automatically think something else in the circuit is doing
>to cause these failures. Sounds more like a VDPO did something. Get
>Shop Manuel in hand, start checking. Good luck.