MGB cooling fan thermostatic switch

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGB cooling fan thermostatic switch
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 23:00:36 EDT
Listers,
 I've heard, from some of my RBB friends that there is a non-Lucas
replacement for the fan thermo switch on RB MG's, that supposedly is a
direct replacement for the original. But no one seems to know which it is
or what vehicle has it for OEM.  Though, most rumors seem to be that is
is from some type of GM vehicle.
 The problem is, my neighbor just replace one (about 3 weeks ago) and it
has once again failed. This is the second one in the 9 months or so he
has owned the car. When he got the car, it had a bad thermo switch and
the PO had wired a manual switch directly to the fans. Shortly after
acquiring the car, I helped him to replace the thermo switch and and
rewire the manual switch as an override.
 That thermo switch lasted about 6 months before going south, and now the
replacment ("Genuine Rover Part") has bitten the dust.
 Any suggestions as to a replacement will be considered - no matter how
fantastic!
TIA
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT